Thursday 23 October 2008

WORLD SERIES!!

Okay, so I'm stoked because I just got back from watching the Phillies beat the bandwagon-Rays with my old college coaches (who're both from Philadelphia).

But I'm sad too: the World Series is the most intense sporting event imaginable (HEY - for you morons who say that baseball is "boring", you've failed to consider the fact that they're playing chess at 90 mph), but it marks the true end of summer. Baseball is so pure and beautiful in the hearts of Americans (who don't suck) because it reminds them of childhood and freshly-cut grass and playing catch in the yard with your dad and hot dogs and peanuts and lemonade and skinned knees. SIGH!

I just love baseball so much. When it goes, my heart grows cold like the rest of the winter world. Part of me hibernates until spring training. My Seasonal Affective Disorder has less to do with a lack of sunlight than it does a lack of baseball.

So I will relish this series! I am rooting for the Phillies because of my devotion to Kerri O'Malley and Gage Miller AND because I am a National League girl. HEY, I said I love purity, and the designated hitter is about as pure as a frat boy. The winter has its football and basketball, but baseball owns my heart, so excuse me if I'm blue until late February when pitchers and catchers report in the Grapefruit and Cactus Leagues.

But I HAVE THE WORLD SERIES RIGHT NOW!!!! And this moment is my life, so I will thank God for every pitch of my favorite game until the final out and wait as patiently as a child on a roadtrip for next year.

1 comment:

III said...

Baseball does make life better. My only real two sustained "bored" times of the year are the two weeks between "National Signing Day" in February & the day when Pitchers and Catchers report to Spring Training ... AND the All-Star Break.

I'm sad to see Baseball go, but that only means football is in full swing. Here's my sports calendar:

Mid-February through October = Baseball

August through early December = College Football

December = Family and Priorities and such

January = Football Recruiting