Friday 26 June 2009

Three Sets

Monday, June 22


I'd like to think I'm a three-setter.

(this is a tennis analogy)

Maria Sharapova has been a three-set player since she's been back from her ten-month hiatus from the sport recovering from shoulder surgery.


She went from being unseeded at the French to seeded 24th here at Wimbledon. Her pattern in this time has been to lose the first set, and then remember that she's Maria Sharapova and starts playing like it. Then, her opponent remembers she's Maria Sharapova and gets intimidated and starts playing like it.


Then the grunts get louder.

Then come the fist pumps and the

"COME ON"s.


Maybe I'm a three-setter. Life, you're about to remember that I'm Haylee Slaughter and I'm going to start playing to my ability and win the match in three.


Friday, June 26


Well, um, Maria lost in the second round to some no-name.

At least it took three sets.



No comments: