Monday 5 October 2009

BLANK-HEARTED

So I've been working on this song since September 6th. I was dog-sitting for Kerri and Lori and just started jamming in drop-D and came up with this driving head-bobbing rock stuff. Then later I was mowing their backyard and I started belting out the melody with these words.

It's an aspiration, because I'm not sure if it's entirely possible. The last I recall going a significant period of time without any sort of crush was 3rd grade. Apparently my emotional hands hate being empty, because I've always seemed to need someone to hold on to.

It'll be difficult getting it just right, describing what I really mean, because I have a hard time wrapping my own mind around the concept, but this is what I have so far:


BLANK-HEARTED
is better than broken-hearted to me
To be blank-hearted is to be free

Oh I have loved and lost, so I know it's worth the cost
But I need a break from love for a while
Don't think I'm making this up,
It's not that I'm giving up,
But I don't need romance to make me smile.

BLANK-HEARTED
is better than broken-hearted any day
If I were blank-hearted, I wouldn't give my power away

Wanna break the fixation, I'm done with the frustration,
I'm not losing sleep at night on the phone
I have willful determination for non-affiliation
And an inner glow from being on my own

My sought-after rarity is emotional clarity
A clean slate, a heart without scars
Won't settle for familiarity
Or a life spent writing forlorn memoirs

Just be free
Just be me
A fresh start
With my blank heart


***
c2009 Haylee Slaughter Music

No comments: