Sunday 14 September 2008

Mondnacht - from Liederkreis, opus 39 by Robert Schumann (1810-1856), written 1840

Uuugggghhhhhhhh. :) These are the lyrics to my favorite piece by Schumann, SO BEAUTIFUL, the music is even more so than the words, because, not in spite of, its simplicity. Please excuse the fact that I don't have German keys on my keyboard (well I probably do but don't know how to use them).

Sometimes, when I'm really still, looking heavenward, my soul recites this in its original translation, in the hand it was written.


Zart, heimlich.
Es war, als butt - der Himmel die Erde stilt ge kusst, dass sie im Bluthenschinimer von ihmi nur traumen musst'.
Die Luft gimg darch die Felder, die Achren wrogten nacht, es rauschten leis'-die Walder, so sternklar war - die Nacht. Und meine See - le apannte weit ihre Flugel aus - flogdureb die stillen Land de als floge - sie mach Hous.

Secretly, tenderly.

-Moonlight.

It was as if the heavens had silently kissed the earth so that the earth had only to dream of it in shiny blooms. The air ran though the fields, the rows of wheat were gently rollling, the trees were gently rustling; thus the night was clear as stars. And my soul expanded its wings, through quiet lands, as if it were flying home.

Fin.

No comments: