Tuesday 4 November 2008

My "Rights"

Revolution is in the air. Yay.

Someone, who isn't ashamed to say he is "very liberal" (thank you facebook for allowing us to properly label ourselves), made this statement to people who make a salary over a certain amount - "hush up... you owe us!" Um, yeah. Let me just show the whole thing so you can get an idea of the ridiculousness of this, not to make him look bad, but it saddens me that the majority of Americans agree with him.

(P.S. What pisses me off about these "open-minded" liberals is that you can't disagree with them at all or they'll label you a homophobic capitalist Jesus freak, or some other such nonsense")

I am not entitled to ANYTHING. I'm not entitled to freedom of speech or the right to bear arms - I'm not even entitled to sound mind and body! People who are born with no arms, did they have the right to a full set of limbs? Why is it, that just because I'm AMERICAN, I should feel like I have allllll these "rights"? Hey man, I've been to a 3rd world country where they don't have the right to police or infrastructure (how bout walking 3 miles on broken mountain roads to get to church?) .

NO ONE OWES ME ANYTHING. We don't have rights, we have blessings. We have grace. That's all. None of us deserves crap, but the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. He makes it rain on the just and the unjust. Time and chance happen to us all.

Don't confuse me with being ungrateful, I'm not taking any of this for granted at all. I'd like to thank the people who play Lotto for my education. I'd like to thank the people who buy gasoline for the roads I drive on. Oh yeah, my mom bought my car with the money her mother left her when she died. The police? Hey man, I run from them just like evvvverybody else.

Just read this crap, it blew my mind. Whatever, I have to go to orientation for community service. I told the judge I'd rather pay rent than my traffic ticket so she's mandating my benevolence toward our fair city, God bless her.



Eric is quite sure that you will receive the lion's share of whatever wealth Barack proposes to share so calm down. If you are above the $ line hush up, you owe us! 10:35pm - 5 Comments
Haylee Slaughter at 8:43am October 29
I couldn't disagree with you more, and I'm young and poor. Rich people don't owe me anything.
Eric at 11:12am October 29
well then thank the poor tax paying people who paid for your education, pay for your roads, your police, your firefighters, your hospitals. I guess you think that they owe you everything because they have given it to you.
Haylee Slaughter at 3:26pm October 29
I never said I was ungrateful for any of that, nor did I imply that "poor tax-paying people" didn't have anything to do with the creature comforts that all Americans enjoy. I just meant to say that I refuse to feel entitled for any of it.
Eric at 3:43pm October 29
you are not entitled to infrastructure? to security? to education? you want to get everything for yourself that the government provides now? You are entitled to these things because we are part of a society, something folks on the right have never figured out. The idea that any of these people made it without help is ridiculous. while you think you are not entitled to any of it Wall Street has no trouble taking money off my table for their excesses and criminal mismanagement. Maybe that is the way to keep people down, don't let them think they deserve anything and keep it for the top.
Haylee Slaughter at 9:50am November 1
Eh, I'd rather pull a Henry David Thoreau. When this country finally destroys itself it'll be a survival-of-the-fittest scenario, and I'll be ready for "stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center" and I'll "wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life" and "climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower." and look down and "see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." But as for now, I'm happy to have been born in a country where we take "givens" like infrastructure and education for granted rather than one of the 3rd world ones we feel so obligated to take care of. I'm obviously not into politics and don't claim to know what I'm talking about, but not being required to have a strong opinion either way is one of the things I value most about being an American.

3 comments:

III said...

I fundamentally disagree. I think we live in a country that promises rights. Our Constitution has a Bill of RIGHTS.

To the extent that our country promotes & promises rights, we are entitled to those rights.

Ugh said...

IT WAS BY THE GRACE OF GOD THAT WE WERE ALL BORN AMERICAN, WAS IT NOT? Any of us could've just as easily been born in China under communism or in a Muslim country where there's no such thing as a constitution and I, as a woman, would've been under the feet of a husband who was chosen for me. We take our American citizenship l for granted is all I'm trying to say.

Ugh said...

by the way, I was quoting Fight Club there at the end.