Sunday 8 November 2009

Lightnin' Salvage gig

Played at that adorable venue behind Satchel's this past Thursday. I love that place. It was easily the best gig I've done, ever. So much fun, so relaxed, had great friends and family there, obviously the food was amazing, etc.

The best thing was debuting new songs. Three in particular: But You Were But A Dream, I'll Just Smile, and Blank-Hearted.

I first wrote the lyrics for YWBAD (haha, cool acronym) on January 6, 2006 about no one in particular. The melody and the arrangement took a while and it was a challenge to craft it and get it just right because it's one of those songs I feel is beyond my capacity to write. So basically it's a gift. It's on piano and is so gut-wrenching with its forlorn heartache! I love it!

Blank-Hearted I was nervous about. The lyrics are posted here and it still isn't quite done, but I wasn't sure if anyone would understand, but a guy said he liked it! And hearing it over the PA and just how powerful it feels to sing something I feel strongly about is pretty neat. Even though my shrink says the concept isn't realistic, I think it's my new anthem. =)

I'll Just Smile is only two weeks old. It wrote itself on my way home from Raleigh on 10/25/09 about a friend of mine I've had a mild crush on for about a year now. It's purdy. :) Not a ballad, not really a love song, but writing it helped me better understand the way I relate to this kid and organize my thoughts about the (non)situation. No big deal - it isn't really finished either, but here's what I have so far:

The thought of you amuses me in a smile-inside-my-heart kind of way
And you may never be mine someday
But I'm just glad that you are being you
Out there, somewhere, today

This feeling I have inside of me will stay hidden away as time goes by
But I optimistically believe
That you may be just as sweet on me
But also just as shy

It just feels good to know you, I'm happy just saying hello
I'm not sure how to show you what I think you already know
So I'll just smile


It was a great time and a perfect opportunity to share my new stuff with a crowd and they seemed to go over pretty well! God gave me one of the best gifts in the world and it's such a privilege to share it with other people.

No comments: