Thursday 13 August 2009

August II

I was wrong about August - it does have an event! Not a holiday per se...
But the Perseid meteor shower happens every year during the second week of August. It was cloudy both last year and this year, so I didn't see . It would've been neat to be at my dad's house in Suwannee for it, it's so remote, very little light pollution. Maybe next year. It was supposedly last night, when Earth passed through the dust of the Tuttle-something Comet. I drove out to a cow pasture to try to see some of it around midnight. Saw nothing after ten minutes. What a rip off!! Howevah, tonight when I got home from the Dave Matthews Band show in Tampa, I saw two big bright ones about three minutes apart!!

I love Bob Dylan's song Shooting Star:
Saw a shooting star tonight, and I thought of you
You were trying to break into another world, a world I never knew
I always kind of wondered if you ever made it through
I seen a shooting start tonight, and I thought of you

Once, at my dad's place on the Nature Coast (middle of nowhere), I saw one that fell bright down toward the water and seemed to hit and flash orange and quickly extinguish. Or, maybe I dreamed it. But I'm pretty sure it really happened. Stuff like that, that seems so impossibly neat, makes me second guess myself. Even that oh-so-brief moment, when you're staring up into heaven, and the streaking light catches your eye and just as quickly is gone. Did I really see it?

August is almost half over. It'll burn bright for a moment, captivate me, and then be gone.


No comments: