Sunday 29 June 2008

Set List!

So I'm crafting the set list for the first gig I've had since May of 2007. I'd forgotten how hard it is! Gotta balance enough covers (ugh) with originals, which originals to play, the proper order, playing certain songs of a certain tuning together, etc. Then it's about what you're going to say. It can be a diary that you're opening up for everyone there to hear you read word for word. If they're reading between the lines, anyway. I don't mind playing covers, but I don't really play ones everyone wants to hear because I like deep album cuts (Hairshirt from Green by REM, Breakaway by John Mayer, Planet Telex by Radiohead, Pale September by Fiona Apple - not that any of these are necessarily on the set list!) It's one thing when you're singing in a romantic restaurant filled with old people you're hoping will tip you so you sing what you think they want to hear (what I refer to as "whoring"). Industry rule number 4,081 (4,080 is record company people are shadyyyy!) - if you want to make it, you have to compromise your heart, soul, mind, strength, and (of course) body. Ugh. But I say screw it, I'm going to play what I feel like playing for my own reasons and if that's good enough for you bring $2 and prepare to have your mind covered in Napalm.

One thing that is FO SHO FACT - if you plan on singing to someone in particular, they aren't going to com. Like Nuke Laloosh said, "Sometimes you win; sometimes you lose; sometimes it rains." I mean I guess you could say "hey dude, I'm gonna serenade you Saturday night so I suggest you show up" but jeez boys scare easier than bunnies with a heart condition! So planning to sing songs thinking Mr. Inspiration will be in the audience and planning to use the force of that chemical reaction between you to propel the set is kind of pointless. I reckon it's like most everything else - better left to fate to decide. Good ol' fate.

That's another thing - the element of surprise. There's nothing greater than dedicating a song to someone who loves it and never saw it coming. I did that to Jess Elf a few years ago when I played 32 Flavors (but then of course Drunk Jodi went over and was all blablabla during the song she could barely enjoy it, but whatev. Drunk obnoxious show go-ers is another blog entirely). I can't tell anyone what I'm going to play! That would totally take away my powerful position up there! And boy is it powerful! Heh heh heh.

So once I finish the set list I'm gonna try to find some body guards, a la Kevin Costner. I was actually telling a couple guys (Gabe and Serge) after church this morning that I need a few big guys I can trust to keep my stalkers away from me that night. Gabe was all, "you have stalkers? that's awesome!" and I said "man I can't even tell you how NOT awesome it is". And they laughed. They've obviously never had a stalker! UGH! :(

But! Be there Saturday night! It's a surprise! With shiny wrapping paper and bows and it smells like home and true love and Ben Hill Griffin Stadium on game day, all in one perfect little package.

No comments: