Monday 11 June 2007

Alabama Psalms

Preface:

We've landed in a field cut out of young pine. Some sort of public park right on Mobile Bay. We're staying in Air Force tents, sleeping on cots. The giant, protective clouds hang low and the wind blows mercifully hard to relieve the oppressive humidity. No one really seems to know what to do, what the plan is or what time supper is, but all are good-natured, excited to be here and willing to help. The Carolina blue sky peeks out from behind the cotton here and there as the fluff moves north. The bahaya grass and clover quiver with each gust of gulf breeze. Praise God.
Night. The stars are incredible. We had a brief rain. They don't seem nearly as distracted as I do. The random pulse of the generator. The mosquitoes loves me. This shooting star seems to be falling forever. It reminds me of the one I saw in a dream that landed in the outstretched water that looks uncannily like the Mobile Bay across the street. DISTRACTIONS....

ALABAMA PSALM 1
God, your ways are perfect. What looks like tragedy is a miracle of your doing. You humble and purify me in sickness to exalt me with your power. You deliver me safely home to call me back out into service. I sit in awe of your unsurassing greatness and ability to see around the corner of Life. I will go wherever you call, for you are the LORD Almighty, whom I serve for ever and ever. AMEN.

ALABAMA PSALM 2
My Lord and God, forgive me as I am limited, distracted and trapped. Limited by my humanness and lack of understanding of your might and power and willingness to rescue me. Distracted by my sinful nature that easily entangles a lowly human soul that needs only to remember thy love for me. Trapped in this crude, fleshly matter in which I must roam your Earth until I am called home to be with Thee. Have mercy on thy servant, God, who wants only to be with Thee and to gaze upon Thy face. AMEN.

ALABAMA PSALM 3
O feel the wind that races across thy land, reminding the trees and grass of their liveliness! O count the stars that give light and wonder to the sky. O watch the clouds pass and reform and bring rain with which to bless God's Earth. O gaze upon night's lanturn, a moon that causes the ocean tides to rise and fall. All of these were spoken into being by the great I AM, and it is He whom I will worship and serve all the days of my life. AMEN.

ALABAMA PSALM 4
The good Lord blessed me with big, quick feet and strong, able hands, so how shall I use them to His glory? I will be swift to help a child or widow in need and attempt to lead them to your throne of righteousness. I will lift up my brother when he falls. I will help build foundations of shelter for those in need to live. I will tenderly tend to the wounds of the ill and troubled. I will bow down to the God of the Heaves and Earth, who created me for His own purposes, according to His own plan, which is my destiny. I will forever praise Him. AMEN.

No comments: