Monday 4 June 2007

Things I Learned In the Kitchen Tonight/Fried Green Tomatoes

Things I Learned in the Kitchen Tonight/Fried Green Tomatoes
8:21pm Thursday, May 17


Now all you Southern cookin' purists don't hate. I kinda created a new twist on our favorite snack, Fried Green Tomatoes

Ingredients:

1 large green tomato
cornmeal
buttermilk
olive oil
salt
pepper
dried basil

Directions:

Heat oil in medium skillet (cast iron if you got it). Slice tomato about 1/2 inch thick. Lay slices on some paper towels to absorb the moisture for a couple minutes, then salt and pepper real good. Have a bowl with some buttermilk in the bottom and another with some cornmeal. For yummy crusty goodness, lay the slices of tomato in the cornmeal, then the buttermilk, then back into the cornmeal (you definitely need the cornmeal on the outer layer...one thing I learned tonight). Be sure your oil is nice and hot, but not so hot it's smoking, and gently place the slice in the oil (make sure you're wearing a shirt...another thing I learned tonight: just a sports bra don't cut it). Seriouslah, be careful. Cook a couple minutes then flip. I like em brown on both sides but you do what you want. Take them off and transfer to a cool plate and salt and pepper both sides. Just before serving, sprinkle with some basil to go ahead and complete the Italian thing you weren't planning on doing at all but just seemed logical and ended up tasting YUUUMMMMMMYYYY!!!

So I guess the main thing I learned tonight is that spontaneity in the kitchen can be cool and just because tradition holds one thing doesn't mean my spin on it is a sin. Or something. :)

No comments: